Friday, December 21, 2012

Oh how the years go by...

This is my friend Heidi and me at my wedding rehearsal.


This is my friend Heidi and me at my wedding.


This is my friend Heidi and me in NYC.


And here she is holding my son for the first time.



I love her with all my heart.  But she lives in Colorado.  And I.  I do NOT live in Colorado.  Every once in a blue moon she comes to PA and stays with us.  And I feel very grateful for this, because she is a hot commodity when she's here because she's just SO nice and fun to be around.  We went to school together, and she was my very first friend at Mount Calvary.  Her mom was the art teacher and we just sort of...ended up together.  When she comes to visit, we pick up where we left off, which is the best kind of friend to have.

She came in for a night yesterday and it was so amazing to see her face.  Our evening was filled with good food and laughter and reminiscing.  I got to tell her my story of Liam's birth, with Andy chiming in to tell his side of the story.  She came bearing gifts and books for Liam and Andy and me, and we had some fun stuff for her too.

But it didn't take too long to realize that a baby changes everything.  (Thanks Faith Hill.)  My first question to the hostess was if we could have a secluded table so I could feed my son.  I had missed my afternoon pumping and needed the assistance of my young one.  And then as we talked at the supper table, the topics included epidurals, car payments, water leaks and cold houses.

When we went shopping at Marshall's, our path lead us to the baby department where we oogled shoes and little blankets and tiny socks.  We made fun of all the teens clothing, commiserating on where the rest of the fabric was and how we'd have no place to wear any of the things we really liked anyway.  I chimed in with how if it didn't have a way to breastfeed, I wouldn't wear it anyway.

At home we sat and talked about how cute Liam was.  We blew up her air mattress, because our guest room is now a nursery.  At 10PM we decided that we were absolutely shot and needed to get to bed.  Which we did.  And just about that time, Liam decided to cry from his bassinet, and I needed to attend to that. 

There are many friends, single friends, that have gone since Liam was born.  Many couples sans children don't come around any more since Liam was born.  They think we're too busy or that we have bedtimes and deadlines, which we kind of are and we kind of do.  But when it comes down to it, we just want to be normal again.  Heidi helped me feel just that- normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment